Mission to Broadmoor
What is Mission to Broadmoor?
Redeemer’s most recent home missions effort is a mission trip to our own neighborhood in Jackson, Mississippi – Broadmoor. A local television station, WLBT, published the story below about the local mission trip. “Jackson church helps homeowners with major home repairs” -WLBT.comwww.wlbt.com/story/18984091/mission-to-broadmoor
Redeemer Church is making strides to join the members of the Broadmoor community to assist in efforts toward community stabilisation through home ownership. We are engaged in this process through a number of different but connected avenues:
- Advocacy – Redeemer is proud to be a part of the Broadmoor Community. We are proud of the shared heritage and rich history that comes with a portion of this community being associated with the GI District, which provided land for returning veterans from WWII. We believe Broadmoor is a great place in which to live, and we see ourselves as good will ambassadors, promoting this community.
- Development – Home ownership is a crucial ingredient in community stabilisation. Redeemer is now poised to invest in this very important and very practical effort through purchasing selected residential properties, renovating and then assisting interested parties to work through the path to home ownership. This leads to the key component, long-term investment in relationships.
- People – our greatest assets are our people. We want to invest time, energy and resources into helping people learn to not only survive but to thrive as citizens of our community through living lives that reflect principles found in the Word of God.
- Training – Redeemer has been blessed with gifts of men a women from very diverse backgrounds and cultures. Their combined life skills, experience, professional training and vast networks give Redeemer the opportunity to help interested people to qualify for home ownership. We can provide training courses, personal counseling and mentorship that will help willing adults to order their lives and to join us in stabilizing our community by everyone being good stewards, managers, of all that God has portioned out for each to manage. For more information on the ministries of the Mission to Broadmoor, please contact our church office at 601-362-9987, or Steve Lanier at 601-259-5454.
How does it work?
Each year, members of Redeemer will join hands with volunteers from churches on a mission to minister to our neighbors in the Broadmoor Community. We will be working together to complete the work (hanging external siding, sheetrock, installing cabinets, painting, etc.) on homes to resell to another good neighbor for Broadmoor. We will be reaching out to the children and families in our area with prayer walks, fun, fellowship activities for children on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and evening gospel outreach activities in the evenings in the Youth Center called “Back to the Castle“. We will have a BLOCK PARTY with an inflatable, music, games and prizes for willing participants.
How can I get involved?
There are so many ways that you can get involved in serving this Broadmoor community!
1. You can PRAY. Pray that God would use this ministry as a way for His people to show love and grace to this neighborhood. Mission to Broadmoor is a great way for God's people to meet the physical needs of this community, but Jesus has filled a greater need-- a need for salvation. Pray also that God would use this ministry as a means to deliver the Good News of the Gospel! In the book of John, Jesus says "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:27-28) Pray that His sheep would hear His voice and follow Him. There will be different groups going on prayer walks through the neighborhood throughout the week. Call or message Steve Lanier to see when you can participate!
2. You can WORK. If you have any experience in construction, GREAT! We can use you! If you don't have any experience in construction, GREAT! We can use you! There are so many jobs to be done and so many hands needed. From building support beams to picking up trash, no job is unimportant, and there are experienced builders on site to help find the perfect job for you.
3. Use your GIFTS. Restoring homes is only a small part of Mission to Broadmoor, and there are so many roles to fill during this busy week. Do you have musical gifts? Are you good with children? Do you feel called to share the Gospel? Are you an organizer? Contact us and we will put those gifts to use!